Applications are now invited for the 2019 SAFE Leadership Challenge (SLC) for secondary school students and teachers. This is an initiative of the Sozo Networks in partnership with Jumpstart Academy Africa that aims to develop young social innovators with the desire to create a lasting impact in their immediate community.
The challenge seeks to inspire students to improve their communities through entrepreneurial actions. The SLC provides the opportunity for outstanding secondary school students to create sustainable solutions to pressing issues in their communities; making use of their own creativity and innovation. Guided by teachers and mentors, the students take an entrepreneurial approach to create human-centered solutions to the biggest challenges in their communities.
Are you a secondary school student or teacher, do you know anyone who is? Invite them to apply for the 2019 SLC.
Five finalist teams will be invited to the final competition pitch at the 2019 SAFE Conference in July. Top three winning teams will receive the following:
One teacher will receive cash prize and certificate of excellence for commitment to the program
- A cash prize of up to 200, 000 naira
- Access to 3 months mentorship at the Sozo leadership institute
- Educational grant for winning schools
- Award plaque for each school
Each application will be judged based on the following:
Creativity and Innovation - What makes this approach different?
Social impact - Does this idea address a real social issue?
Scalability - Can this solution be replicated in another environment with the same social issue?
Sustainability - Does the solution consider business and environmental sustainability?
PART ONE: Team Information
- Applications are open to teams and not individuals. Each team should consist of 3 students and 1 teacher/mentor
- Students should be currently enrolled in a secondary school in Nigeria and have at least 6 months before graduation
- Mentors should be teaching/non-teaching staff of school/organization where students are enrolled
- Students should be in their SSS1 and SSS2 grades
- Teacher/mentor should be 18 and above
PART TWO: Project Details
- Name of team members
- Class/grade of each team member
- School represented
- Location of school
- Age of each team member
- Team mentor
- Mentor relationship with team members
PART THREE: Contact Information
- Name/title of project/social enterprise
- Problem identified (not more than 50 words)
- SDGs this project/social enterprise seeks to solve
- Demography mostly affected by this problem
- Solution/intervention (not more than 500 words)
- How is this solution different from other existing solutions? (not more than 200 words)
- What challenges did you encounter while working on this project/social enterprise and how were you able to overcome them? (not more than 500 words)
- What is your sustainability plan?
You are to submit your application as a PDF document to the email address firstname.lastname@example.org
- Team members contact number
- Team members email address (optional)
- Mentor contact number
- Mentor email address (optional)
- School address
- School email address (optional)
- School website (optional)
Deadline: Applications opens on the 15th of April and closes on the 3oth of June.
ABOUT THE SAFE PROJECT: The SAFE (Securing Africa’s Future through Education) Project is the flagship project of the Sozo Networks, its aim is to bridge the gap in the nation’s education system by offering mentorship and unconventional education that allows teenagers to develop essential skills that are required for leadership in the 21st-century society and workspace. The project fills the gap in the academic curriculum used by most schools in the Nigerian education system. It uses unconventional approaches to equip learners with leadership, life and employability skills required in the future workspaces and for innovative entrepreneurship. It includes SAFE Conference, SAFE Academy for Teenage Leaders and the SAFE Leadership Challenge (SLC).