Chinese Philosopher, Lao Tzu said “The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step”.
The Sozo Networks experience of Blessing Ashi began earlier in the year when she was selected as a Sozo Networks Youth In Development Fellow. Like many other Fellows, she says the journey has been great and affords her the opportunity to learn the rudiments necessary to becoming a better leader. While the program would be wrapped up soon, the leadership of the network has deemed it fit to bring young world change makers every weekend to share their stories of how they started and how they overcame some obstacles.
According to Blessing, something very profound she has learnt thus far is that everyone has a story. Last week, in a bid to keep its YID Fellows motivated, Sozo Networks hosted the Executive Director of OneAfricanChild, Victoria Ibiwoye who shared her journey to the developmental space. At a young age, Victoria currently sits as a Board Member for several organisations and was also appointed as the youth representative for the SDG Education Steering Committee in UNESCO and a 2019 MWF Fellow. During her session, it became so obvious that you would succeed where your passion lies. Sozo Networks YID Fellow, Blessing Ashi says as she highlights her take home from the online training:
1. The journey to success has a lot of hurdles but determination to finish strong would keep you in the game.
2. If you keep at the great work, you would be celebrated even when you are not there
3. If you have the opportunity to attend a stakeholders meeting, maximise the tea break (Engage leaders because a lot happens over a cup of coffee)
4. While others are clamouring to get signed autographs from renowned individuals, get to know them better and learn what keeps them going
5. You don’t have to fall to become better, learn from people’s failure and run with it
6. Opportunities don’t come dressed in Agbada (Lol) opportunities come for the prepared
7. Keep at it even if you failed initially
8. For every time you get a rejection mail, you should always strive to learn what you could have done better preparing for next time instead of giving up
9. You need the God factor to survive. God can take you to any height regardless of your age
10. Learn to negotiate. People would always offer you what they deem fit, but you have a right to negotiate based on your capabilities. Never settle for less.
Sozo Networks is committed to raising world class leaders. With excitement, having gained first hand experience, Blessing urges youths to embrace any opportunity from Sozo Networks, grab it with both hands because with Sozo Networks, there would never be any regret.
Blessing looks forward to meeting more leaders in the next few weeks.
It is important to note that the YID Fellows are young Nigerians located in different states. Sozo Networks is maximizing online platforms for to extend training opportunities to young social change makers..